Ohio Air & Space Hall of Fame and Museum lands at KCMH

Ad Blocker Detected

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The recently established non-profit Ohio Air & Space Hall of Fame and Museum has signed a long-term lease with the Columbus Regional Airport Authority for the original 1929 Port Columbus air terminal and tower, a rare architectural treasure located at John Glenn International Airport (KCMH) in Columbus, Ohio.

The State of Ohio appropriated a $550,000 grant toward OAS’s estimated $2 million cost to renovate the 12,000-square-foot-plus, Art Deco-style air terminal, which has been in disuse for nearly 15 years despite being on the National Register of Historic Places.

In May 2020, the OAS received its first private grant, $20,000 from the Hillsdale Fund, a North Carolina-based family foundation. 

Signing the lease “is integral to a multi-million dollar fundraising effort by OAS, which has an initial goal of raising another $550,000 to double the matching funds required by the state to release the grant,” officials said.

When it opens in late 2021, OAS will offer free-to-the-public exhibits honoring Ohio’s air and space pioneers, house research archives and a STEAM education center, and offer catered rentable meeting and event spaces.

An artist’s rendition of the Ohio Air & Space Hall of Fame and Museum.

The original air terminal was built to serve as the eastern terminus of Transcontinental Air Transport (TAT), one of America’s first commercial airlines and the first to offer coast-to-coast service.  The site for the terminal, named Port Columbus, had been personally selected in 1928 by Charles Lindbergh, then TAT’s Technical Committee Chairman.

Dedicated with much fanfare in July 1929, the structure served as the Port Columbus air terminal until 1958, when a modern terminal was built on the site of what is currently the John Glenn International Airport. TAT was in business for 16 months, ultimately merging into what became Trans World Airlines (TWA).

The historic air terminal was saved and re-purposed the first time in the 1980s when former US Navy and North American Aviation test pilot, Ed Gillespie, leased and renovated it into

This post was originally published by General Aviation News on . Please visit the original post to read the complete article.

Leave a Reply